Receiving Compensation for a Work-Related Driving Accident

Truck stuck in a traffic jam on snowy dayIf you’ve been involved in an accident while driving on behalf of your employer, there are steps you should take to protect your rights.

What to Do Immediately After an Accident

When you’ve been involved in a vehicle accident, remaining calm and rational can be a challenge. However, there are some things you need to do right away:

  • Check to see if anyone has been injured in the accident. If there are any serious injuries, call 911 immediately.
  • If there are no serious injuries, call the police and report the accident.
  • If your vehicle can be safely moved, move it to the side of the road as soon as possible.
  • Exchange driver’s license and insurance information with the other driver(s).
  • Don’t blame the other drivers or accept any responsibility for the accident.
  • Ask any witnesses for their contact information, in case your insurance company or the police need to speak with them later.
  • Photograph the accident scene, any damage to the vehicles involved, and any physical injuries you’ve sustained in the accident.
  • Make notes about the weather and traffic conditions at the time of the collision, along with any other information you think may prove useful later on.
  • Inform your employer and your insurance company that you’ve been involved in an accident.

Recovering Damages

Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, you may be entitled to collect workers’ compensation, receive compensation from the other driver’s liability insurance, or both. When an employee is injured due to the fault of another driver, he is entitled to compensation under both his employer’s workers’ compensation insurance and the other driver’s liability insurance. Worker’s compensation will pay a portion of your lost wages, but it won’t compensate you at all for pain and suffering. The other driver’s liability insurance will cover all of your lost wages, and can pay for your pain and suffering.

You Need an Attorney

If you’ve been injured while driving on behalf of your employer, you need professional representation by an experienced attorney. To learn more, contact the Law Office of Ben Crittenden, P.C., by clicking the Live Chat button on this page.