What should I do if I have just been involved in a car accident?

Young man talks on a cell phone after an auto collisionIf you’ve been involved in a vehicle accident, there are important steps you should take to protect both your health and your rights. Following the collision, you should:

  • Turn on your emergency flashers, and exit the vehicle when it is safe to do so.
  • If the collision is anything more serious than a fender-bender, call for help. If no one needs medical attention, call your local law enforcement agency’s non-emergency number and report the accident.
  • If anyone has been injured, call 911 to get help from emergency medical professionals. Law enforcement will generally visit the accident scene, as well.
  • If you’re physically able and it’s safe to do so, photograph any injuries you’ve sustained, the accident scene, vehicle damage, and debris on the road. Also photograph the location and condition of traffic signals, stop signs, and any other signage.
  • Exchange driver’s license information, insurance details, and contact information with the other driver. If there are any witnesses, ask them for their contact information.
  • Contact your car insurance company and inform it of the accident. Your insurance carrier may send an adjuster to the scene or help you arrange a tow to a local repair shop.
  • Don’t admit fault, and don’t sign anything unless it’s for the police or your insurance agent.
  • Frequently, injury symptoms resulting from vehicle accidents are not immediately apparent. Seek medical assistance should symptoms develop. Pay particularly close attention to your neck and back, and get help right away if you experience any stiffness or pain.
  • Keep documentation of any vehicle repair expenses or medical bills you’ve sustained due to the accident.
  • Keep a personal journal, and record your memories of the accident and your injuries (including the impact they have on your daily activities and your emotional health).

Car Injury Victims Should Seek An Attorney

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses and loss of income. A personal injury attorney can guide you through the process of proving your claim. For more information, contact the Law Office of Ben Crittenden, P.C., by using the form on this page.

Ben Crittenden
Connect with me
Devoted to advancing his trial techniques and communication skills on behalf of injured victims in Anchorage.