How do I receive compensation for pain and suffering resulting from my vehicle accident?

Pain and suffering resulting from a vehicle accident can last for years, or even decades. Therefore, it’s important to obtain a fair recovery that adequately compensates you for your injuries.

Compensation for Pain and Suffering

To receive compensation for the injuries you’ve sustained in a vehicle accident, you must prove the extent of your physical pain and emotional suffering. This will depend on your specific physical injuries, the emotional impact they have on you, and the effect they have on your daily activities. Pain and suffering may include:

  • Worry, shock, anxiety, or depression.
  • Difficulty sleeping.
  • Inability to engage with family.
  • Physical pain and discomfort, whether temporary or permanent.
  • Loss of enjoyment of life due to physical limitations.

Valuing Pain and Suffering

If your pain and suffering only lasts for a brief period of time, your demand for compensation should be relatively low. However, if your pain and suffering is expected to persist for years into the future, your recovery should be much higher. A couple of methods are commonly used to value damages resulting from pain and suffering:

  • The multiplier method. This frequently used method for evaluating pain and suffering damages requires multiplying actual damages (medical and therapy bills, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and property damage) by a particular number. The multiple chosen will depend upon the severity and duration of the injuries, and the types of pain and discomfort experienced.
  • The daily rate method. Using a daily rate calculation, a certain dollar value is assigned to each day a victim suffers from his vehicle accident injuries. The criteria used to choose the daily rate varies. One way it may be determined is to base the rate on the income you would have earned in a given day had you never been injured.

You Need an Attorney

Insurance companies will try to maximize their profits by paying you as little as possible for your recovery, so you need an experienced attorney to help you collect the damages you deserve. To learn more, contact the Law Office of Ben Crittenden, P.C., by using the form on this page.