You’ve suffered injuries in an accident, and you’ve made the important decision to find an attorney to protect your rights. But now what? How can you and your family know a lawyer is the right one for your case? Here, find some helpful tips and key questions to ask so you can feel confident that you’ve found the best legal advocate for you.
Finding an Alaska Injury Attorney for Your Claim
The first step is to simply find names of attorneys who might be able to provide the help you need. To do so, victims and their families can:
- Ask friends and family. You may be surprised at how many friends, family members, or acquaintances have needed the help of an attorney. Ask around and get the opinions of people you know and trust.
- Use the Bar Association. The Alaska Bar Association offers a lawyer referral service that can help you find lawyers near you who practice injury law. While they don’t provide reviews of their services, it’s a start.
- Visit the local library. Many libraries will have a local law directory, which will contain information about local lawyers and their work.
- Look online. A simple Google search can turn up attorneys in your area who can be contacted.
Determining If a Lawyer Is Right for You
Even when you find the name of an attorney, how can you know that he or she will be right for you? The easiest answer is to simply meet them and find out. Many injury attorneys offer a free, no-obligation consultation. At that time, you can obtain information that can help you make a decision about moving forward with your claim. Important questions to ask during this meeting include:
- Can you develop rapport? The relationship between a victim and an attorney is important. Establishing trust and chemistry from the start will make the situation easier to manage as your claim moves forward.
- Is the lawyer experienced in the area of your claim? There are a wide range of legal specialties. While an attorney may be able to take on an injury claim, it’s important that they have actually worked your type of case for other clients.
- How easy was it to get in touch with them? And what is their communication policy going forward? Make sure this works for you.
- What type of fee arrangement do they typically use? Most injury attorneys will work on a contingency fee basis, which helps accident victims access the representation they need with very little upfront costs. Make sure to find out what to expect regarding the finances.
While there is no magic formula for finding the perfect attorney, some simple, specific inquiries can be immensely helpful. When you get a sense that the attorney is knowledgeable, trustworthy, and truly interested in helping you recover as fully as possible, he or she is likely the right lawyer for you.
In Anchorage, attorney Ben Crittenden knows that the legal process can be daunting and the uncertainties from start to finish may feel overwhelming. He is dedicated to protecting the rights of Alaska accident victims and making sure their voices are heard. He has helped many other victims obtain the care and compensation they needed to move forward from their accidents. If you or someone you love has suffered injuries, contact Ben today. Call his Anchorage office or take a moment to fill out the contact form on this page. You’ll reach Ben directly to have your questions answered.