You Probably Need to Carry More Underinsured (UIM) Auto Insurance

I often meet with potential clients who have been seriously injured in a car wreck. Their stories of how the accident happened and the injuries they suffered can be truly heartbreaking, especially when the driver who hit them has little or no insurance.

When this is the case, one of the first questions I ask is, “Do you have underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage” Often, their response is, “I'm not sure.  What is that?” 

You Probably Don't Have Enough Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Underinsured Motorist coverage allows you to seek money from your own auto insurance company if you max out the auto coverage of the other driver.  This is important because the mandatory minimum liability coverage in Alaska is $50,000, meaning that if your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering are more than $50,000 you will need UIM coverage.  Uninsured motorist coverage works similarly, only it is used when the other driver does not hvae any insurance at all and you must seek your entire recovery from your own insurance company.  Consequently, it is not only extremely important that you carry this coverage, it is extremely important that you carry enough of it.  The reality is that the vast majority of accident victims (and most drivers for that matter) don’t have nearly enough of what is known as Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM).

Unlike liability coverage, which insures you if you injure someone else in an accident, UM/UIM coverage protects you in the event that the person who hit and injured you has little or no insurance.

The problem is that since so many drivers carry the bare minimum in liability coverage or don’t have any insurance at all, you’re left in a disastrous situation if you are hit by one of them and you or your passengers suffer serious injuries. Any sort of a hospital stay, surgeries or ongoing medical care can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Here’s the real kicker—UM/UIM coverage is actually very inexpensive. In fact, a $1,000,000 UM/UIM policy usually isn’t that much more per month than a $50,000 policy. So, do what you can to protect yourself and your family—make sure you are carrying a high amount of UM/UIM coverage on your policy.

If you have any questions about your auto insurance and the coverage you have in place, please don’t hesitate to call our office.   

You Need an Attorney

If you have been in an auto collision and injured, you need professional representation by an attorney with the experience necessary to win your case. You need a lawyer who you can have full confidence in. To learn more, contact the Law Office of Ben Crittenden to schedule a free, no-obligation case evaluation.

Ben Crittenden
Connect with me
Devoted to advancing his trial techniques and communication skills on behalf of injured victims in Anchorage.
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment