Alaska Personal Injury Lawyer
Call Us Today 866-985-4224
writing check

Recovering Lost Income After An Accident

When you’re injured in an accident, the economic pain you experience isn’t limited to medical expenses. You may also lose a significant amount of income while you’re unable to work during your recovery. If someone else is at fault for the accident, they are responsible for compensating you for this lost income.

Your Lost Income

There is more to lost income than just your wages. In addition to the paychecks you’ve missed, you may be entitled to compensation for work opportunities you were unable to pursue due to the accident. Furthermore, if you’ve used any sick leave or vacation time during your recovery, you deserve reimbursement for that time. If you were in contention for a pay bonus and missing work prevented you from qualifying for it, you may be entitled to compensation for the missed bonus, as well.

Documenting Lost Income

If you have a full-time or part-time job, collecting the necessary documentation for your claim should be easy. All you need is a letter from your employer that includes the following:

  • Your typical work schedule.
  • The amount of time you’ve missed from work.
  • Your pay at the time of injury.
  • Any vacation days, sick days, or paid holidays used during your recovery.
  • Any promotions you’ve missed out on due to missed work.

If you’re self-employed, documenting lost income is a bit trickier. You must prove how much time you’ve missed from work, and the amount you would have earned had you worked during that time period. You need to provide evidence of a drop in business, and documentation of the work opportunities you’ve missed out on, such as missed appointments with clients. Bank statements and invoices may be used to show the average amount you would have earned during the time you were unable to work.

You Need an Attorney

If you’ve been injured due to another party’s negligence, you deserve compensation for your lost income. To learn more, contact the Law Office of Ben Crittenden, P.C., by using the form on this page.