Riding a bike can be a fun way to get some fresh air and exercise, but in a traffic accident bicycle riders are at risk of serious injury.
Alaska Bicycling Laws
There are two sources of law governing bike usage in Anchorage. The Anchorage Municipal Code regulates bicycle riding within the Municipality of Anchorage. The state of Alaska also has a state law, found in the Alaska Administrative Code, which governs bicycle rider conduct throughout the state. Should there ever be a conflict between these two sources of law, the state laws will always prevail. Fortunately, there are no serious discrepancies, so the state laws and the municipal regulations generally complement each other well.
Major provisions of the bicycle right-of-way laws include:
- Any individual, when operating a bicycle upon a roadway, has all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle.
- Bicyclists are required to ride as far to the right as is practical.
- Bicyclists cannot ride more than two abreast on public roads, must stay in the farthest right lane, and cannot impede traffic.
- When a shoulder is maintained in good condition, bicyclists are required to use it.
- Bicyclists cannot park a bike on a street or sidewalk in such a way that pedestrian traffic is obstructed, nor may they prevent the operation or parking of motor vehicles.
Bicycle Accident Causes
Many drivers are unfamiliar with bicycle laws, and don’t realize that bike riders have the same rights as any motorist. Unfortunately, sometimes impatience or intolerance toward bicyclists leads to accidents. Common causes of bicycle collisions include:
- Drunk, drowsy, or distracted drivers.
- Drivers who fail to observe posted traffic laws.
- Poor visibility.
- Aggressive driving.
Consult a Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, you should promptly consult with an experienced bicycle injury attorney in order to protect your rights and pursue your claim. Contact Ben Crittenden, an Anchorage Bike Injury Accident Attorney by clicking the Live Chat button on this page.
- Bike Injury Accident Attorney in Anchorage, Alaska
- How Much a Personal Injury Attorney May Cost
- Alaska Child Injury Lawyer
- Alaska Crosswalk Laws
- Child Safety Hazard Forces a Liquid-Plumr Recall
- 2016 Report Lists Hazardous Children’s Toys